One of the biggest challenges for our society today and in the future is to help the fast-growing population of older citizens to live independently and be safe, in good health and with good quality of life. The safety of the elderly is most important and fortunately advancements in technology include wearable GPS tracking devices. GPS pendants and watches have introduced a new way for caregivers and families to prevent the dangers of wandering for your senior loved ones. Disorientation affecting seniors can lead to wandering, a behaviour that commonly affects not only those diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia but any senior. Death or serious injury can result from seniors wandering into areas that are not safe. Disorientation makes even familiar surroundings seem unfamiliar to seniors causing many people to get into dangerous situations. These devices provide family members and caregivers with peace of mind.
Some wearables, for example GPS pendants and watches specifically designed for seniors, also include features like fall detection. If the wearer is only walking or sitting there will be no alert but if the wearer falls down the watch will start an SOS function. The watch automatically sends notifications to family members through the mobile app and will place voice and SMS calls to a specified number of other mobile phones e.g. carers or emergency services.
Some of the features of a GPS watch can include:
- Real-time GPS positions – track your loved one’s location anytime
- Fall detection – an emergency alert is sent if a fall is detected
- Emergency SOS alert – when the button on the watch is pressed an alert is triggered with the wearer’s location
- Mobile phone calls to and from family
- Clock reminder alarm
- Camera for photos
- Step counter
- Geo-fence enter/leave – define an area that the wearer should not leave and an alert is sent if they do
- App for Android and iOS
- Remove alert – if the watch is removed an alert is triggered
- Analogue and digital watch faces
Take a look for yourself at our modern yet simple to use GPS watch for the elderly. Please feel free to contact us should you wish to discuss the watch features, availability and pricing.